The EcoTarium, a museum of science and nature, seeks an experienced professional with a proven track record for developing successful proposals and a demonstrable ability to manage relationships and projects in a Development office. The Grants Officer works as the lead team member responsible for fostering, managing, and executing all activities related to successful grant application and management on behalf of the EcoTarium.
This position reports to the Director of Institutional Advancement as part of the Institutional Advancement team. This position works closely with the EcoTarium President and the museum’s internal Grants Committee and is a proactive collaborator with other staff members, Board of Trustees, and outside partners as necessary.
- 5 plus years’ experience in successful proposal development for private and public funding including at the national level
- A skilled communicator, in both writing and speaking
- A strong team player with experience in project development and management
- Be highly organized and able to work on simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat and be comfortable working in databases as well as on web-based forms and systems. Working knowledge of Altru/Blackbaud preferred
Proposal Development and Writing
- Develop and write proposals for general operating support, capital projects, and specific programs
- Identify and research new potential funding sources locally, regionally and nationally
- Produce supporting material to enhance proposals
- Assist with evaluation and data collection efforts in developed projects
- Manage a grants calendar to ensure timely applications, reports, and communications with funders
- Act as liaison between the funder and the museum, working with identified project leaders, financial staff, Institutional Advancement, and museum leadership in order to facilitate the fulfillment of grant obligations to the donor both from a content and financial perspective
- Work with federal, state, community, and foundation Program Officers and their equivalents, to ensure compliance with application guidelines and to mediate the needs of the funder with the needs of the museum
- Monitor federal, state, and local government legislation as it pertains to existing and potential future funding, the cultural sector, and the EcoTarium
- Advocate with federal, state, and local funders regarding issues of concern to the EcoTarium
- Maintain files and manage the grants portfolio
- Coordinate efforts with the President, senior staff, all other staff/ Board Members, and external partners as needed to avoid duplication of contact with potential funders
- Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Grants and Government Affairs Officer Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Grants Officer” in the subject line.