Full-time, salaried, non-exempt
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks a knowledgeable and experienced museum professional for its Collections Manager. The Museum’s collections house a very diverse range of materials including: natural history specimens, rocks and minerals, books and scrapbooks, technology, and ethnographic materials. Some specimens date back to the early years of the Museum, which was founded in 1825. The Museum’s collections include items of considerable scientific interest, beauty and historical value, as well as other items with no provenance or exhibit potential.
The Collections Management Specialist will be responsible for helping to improve care and management of the Museum’s existing collection and would be responsible for carrying out most aspects of registration and collections management. The position would manage the Museum’s very active collections volunteer inventorying program and the Museum’s Curator’s Workshop interpretive program. The Manager will facilitate the occasional addition of pieces when an opportunity arises to add exceptional items.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related work experience, preferably in a natural history museum
- Experience in collections care and conservation for a wide range of materials as noted above
- Knowledge of current best practices in museum collections management
- Experience with museum collections management data base software; knowledge of PastPerfect a plus
- Knowledge of proper paper file management for 3D collections records; archival experience a plus
- A genuine interest in natural history, background in working with natural history specimens and basic knowledge of natural history classification preferred
- Professional demeanor with the public and with other staff
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the exhibit team
- Proven ability to manage and train volunteers
- Ability to do physical labor, including climb a 7-foot ladder, lift 80lbs., reach overhead, push and pull objects and to work in cramped, dirty or awkward spaces, including work low to the ground.
- Ability to wear a respirator, no existing dust allergies
- Experience handling delicate collections materials and ability to work safely with specimens that may have been preserved with toxic materials
- Previous work experience with loan and donation paperwork as a primary or assisting role at another institution.
- Highly organized.
- Knowledge of proper routine cleaning procedures a plus.
- A valid driver’s license
- Pass a CORI background check according to EcoTarium guidelines
The Manager will ensure physical and intellectual control of the collection. The position will also lead efforts for the thoughtful de-accessioning and disposal of selected items, preservation and re-housing of collections to be retained, and long-range planning for and storage of collections.
- Maintain collections records and work towards longer term reconciliation of collections records
- Plan and manage inventory and cataloging efforts
- Help staff identify and access collections for exhibit and programmatic needs
- Review, help update, and implement improved collections policies
- Process loan, donation and transfer paperwork
- Serve on the Museum’s Collections Committee
- Implement best practices in collections care
- Inspect and monitor collections storage areas and collections on exhibit
- Provide routine housekeeping in collections storage areas
- Implement integrated pest management program
- Conduct high-priority preventative care measures for collection materials
- Re-house selected objects
- Obtain and work with outside Managers and consultants, as necessary
- Assist in implementation of the Museum’s Collections Inventorying grant and oversee volunteer inventorying projects
- Manage and train volunteers
- Purchase and manage the inventory of supplies
- Maintain collections object files
- Answer research requests
- Assist with maintaining the Museum’s institutional archives
- Develop proposals for grant funding to improve the storage, access and use of collections at the EcoTarium
- Other duties as required
- Work with other members of the Exhibit team on brainstorming and developing future exhibit plans involving collections
- Help improve collections displays in the museum
- Other duties as assigned
Please send your resume and a cover letter to: Human Resources, Attn: Collections Manager, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Collections Management Specialist” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately, applications accepted until position is filled.