Non-Exempt/Part-time, hourly. Non-Exempt. The position includes Saturdays with occasional additional hours and evenings. The train is seasonal and doesn’t operate during the winter.
The EcoTarium, a museum of science and nature, operates a two-fifths scale model of an 1860s steam engine, a favorite attraction for many of the EcoTarium youngest visitors. The Train Engineer is responsible for selling tickets, driving the train and providing narration before the 12-minute ride. The Engineer is also responsible for equipment and track inspections, and the train station grounds. Candidate must enjoy working with the public and have a keen interest in trains.
- Excellent customer service skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Articulate and mature demeanor
- POS or cash register experience with aptitude for cash drawer management
- Must be able to ascend and descend from the engine and coaches in order to operate safely and assist guests
- Able to navigate the grounds under any weather conditions, move materials weighing up to 20 lbs., push with assistance up to 430 pounds, and work in a highly sensory and stimulating environment
- Interest in trains, science and nature a plus
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Operate the train for guests throughout the day. This includes assisting guests with being seated, helping them depart the coaches, and narrating information to the passengers.
- Conduct daily inspection of engine, coaches and track, and record on daily inspection report.
- Check and top off fluids. Report maintenance issues.
- Enforce all safety regulations and stay current with safety rules and procedures
- Sell train tickets using computerized system, maintain cash drawer and run end of day report.
- Maintain cleanliness at train station and surrounding area. Report issues with vending machine.
- Be welcoming and gracious to all guests.
- Uniform/dress code required.
- Other duties as required.
Please send cover letter and resume: Human Resources, Attn: Train Engineer, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: email@example.com.
Review of applications begins immediately; applications accepted until the position is filled. EOE