We simply could not offer the programs and special events that make the EcoTarium a unique resource to our community without our diverse and wonderfully dedicated corps of volunteers. As a volunteer, you will assist the EcoTarium in carrying out its mission while helping to make our visitors' experiences both fun and educational. Working alongside our professional staff, you will acquire new skills and enhance your knowledge. Must be at least 18 to volunteer with the Wildlife department and at least 15 to volunteer in all other departments. Children under 15 can volunteer at events but must be accompanied by an adult.
Volunteers can participate in many different areas of EcoTarium:
- Administrative Assistance - Help with data entry and filing.
- Collections - Participate in the museum’s projects to inventory its historic natural history collection or learn how to share natural history with visitors.
- Event Committee - Assist EcoTarium staff in planning and executing one (or more) of our special events throughout the year.
- Floater - Visible and available on the floor to give directions, answer questions an/or assist our guests in whatever way is helpful.
- Greeter - Greet out guests, assist them with doors when appropriate (Parents with strollers and children, or anyone physically challenged in any way for example), as well as inform them about programs and activities they might want to take advantage of.
- Grounds Assistant - help maintain gardens, trails, and walkways on our 60 acres.
- Wildlife - Assist with care and prep meals for the feeding of animals and other wildlife as well as clean and maintain habitats. Must be over 18.
Great For Groups
- Adopt a Trail - Help maintain the EcoTarium walking trails free of trash and debris.
- Special Events - Earth Day, Spring Rush, Great Pumpkin Nights and A Christmas Journey are just a few of our events that require additional assistance from parking cars to assisting with crafts, activities and crowd control.
- Special Projects - Fundraise for materials needed to complete a specific project.
Benefits of volunteering
- Making new friends who share common interests
- Learning about New England wildlife and marine life, and forest and meadow ecology
- Developing career skills
- Making a significant contribution to the public understanding and appreciation of science and nature
- Earning EcoTarium memberships and guest passes for friends and family
- Recognition at the annual volunteer banquet and in the EcoTarium's Annual Report
Please join us!
For more information about the EcoTarium's Volunteer Program, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteer Resources at 508.929.2708. Download a volunteer application.