EcoTarium offers a dynamic work environment with many benefits and opportunities for learning.
Department: Advancement & Education
Effective Date: 1/6/2020
Reports To: VP of Advancement & Education
Salary Range: $52,000-$59,000
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for executing a comprehensive individual donor giving strategy which is part of the museum’s larger contributed revenue plan. This individual will report to the VP of Institutional Advancement & Education with the primary goal being to secure major gifts (unrestricted as well as restricted) from individual donors and ensure consistent stewardship for individuals within an evolving portfolio. This position leads the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects at the $5,000+ level and works with members of the museum’s education, wildlife, and collection teams to design and deliver regular on-site and off-site donor engagement and stewardship opportunities.
- Identifies, cultivates and solicits a select list of top-level donors.
- Solicits major gifts ($5,000+), either alone or as part of a team to include the President, VP of Institutional Advancement & Education, and/or in some cases members of the Board of Trustees.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 individuals.
- Designs and implements effective tailored cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for donor prospects in portfolio.
- Through donor visits and ongoing communications, cultivates relationships with significant donors and major gift prospects.
- Works with museum leadership to identify viable projects and create proposals (capital, programmatic and operating) for major donor funding.
- Assists in the identification of potential new Corporators and Trustees to present to the Governance Committee.
- Plans and/or supports major donor-related cultivation events and activities including A Night At The Museum gala.
- Participates in the planning and execution of future capital campaigns and other special fundraising initiatives such as the COVID-19 fund.
- Works closely with event staff on the design and implementation of special opportunities to acknowledge major donors and identify and cultivate major donor prospects.
- Attends various community events and serves as a representative for the EcoTarium at those events.
- Provides research on prospects by utilizing iWave, print and electronic sources, as well as in-house files.
- Promote and speak to the museum’s planned giving program when appropriate.
- Pulls and maintains Major Gift donor lists for marketing purposes.
- Works with other team members to improve processes that impact major donors/prospects such as; volunteer communications, corporate engagement, email list maintenance, communications with volunteer Committee members, etc.
- Maintains complete and timely contact notes within the museum’s database, Altru. Also inputs notes from the President and VP of Institutional Advancement & Education as needed.
- Meets or exceeds annually established goals for major giving.
- Assist in training Trustees and other volunteers (as needed) to be comfortable participating in Major Gift work.
- Minimum of five years of major gift experience in a nonprofit fundraising environment.
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding financial goals from a major gifts portfolio and successfully closing major gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and communications skills, with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in diverse communities.
- Skilled in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Attention to detail and strong project management skills.
- Experience with Altru and iWave preferred but not required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.