Are you handy with your leatherman, a hot glue gun, wrenches, drivers, drills, and design? Then you can join the Exhibits team at the EcoTarium to build things to help inspire generations young and old!
The Assistant Exhibit Technician works with our Exhibit staff to help maintain exhibit components. The Assistant Technician will be primarily responsible for inspecting, cleaning, and conducting preventive maintenance on exhibit interactives. They will also assist the Exhibit Fabricator and Technical Special Projects Manager with small repairs and installations of indoor and outdoor exhibits, and will assist with major event installations. Exhibits include AudioVisual and computer technologies, as well as basic motors, filters, pumps and other mechanical components.
In this role you will:
- Conduct regular inspections and test exhibits inside and outside to determine needed repairs
- Upkeep and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment used in exhibits
- Clean exhibits and display cases, inside and out
- Stock spare parts, purchase, replace, pick up needed supplies and manage inventory
- Maintain an organized stock system and storage
- Assist in the repair of electrical, mechanical, and computer equipment used in exhibits and programs
- Maintain exhibit repair documents and log work completed
- Assist with installation, de-installation, packing and shipping of exhibits and events
A successful candidate will have:
- One or more years of general maintenance experience
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools
- Strong attention to detail and self-motivated
- Willingness and ability to do repetitive tasks like cleaning, stocking and preventative maintenance.
- Good troubleshooting and tinkering skills
- Previous experience doing electrical, mechanical and technical repair a plus
- Ability to do physical labor, including: climbing a 14-foot ladder, lifting up to 50-80 lbs, reaching overhead, pushing and pulling objects and working in tight spaces close to the ground
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the exhibit team
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors in all weather
- Must display professional and personable demeanor with the public and with fellow staff
- Willingness to learn new skills
- A strong candidate will bring one or more additional skills applicable to an indoor-outdoor museum, such as: experience working with natural history specimens; carpentry; 3-D design; theater technical skills (lighting, set building, etc.) mechanical repairs; electrical work; computer/network troubleshooting; aquarium/pool maintenance; metal work; rigging; welding; etc.
- Individual must be over 18 years of age
- Must pass a CORI background check, according to EcoTarium’s guidelines and have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
Requirements of the job:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- (Desired) 1-2 years of experience cleaning and maintaining museum exhibits (experience in other trades including plumbing, electrical, theater/television/film production environments may be substituted)
- Able to lift/carry 20-30 pounds from floor to desktop height.
- Able to push/pull utility carts and other aids to transport equipment and tools from one location to another
- Able to operate hand tools (screwdrivers, pliers, etc.) and light duty power tools (drill/screwdriver, etc.), and fixed workshop tools (including table saw, band saw, chop saw, etc.)
- Ability to independently and with work with to install exhibits and devices using ladders up to 12 feet
Hourly Rate: $16.00
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Human Resources via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact the EcoTarium Human Resources Department.