Do you want to inspire a love of nature and science for our diverse community? Then come join our Summer Camp Program at the EcoTarium!
The EcoTarium, a museum of science & nature, seeks an engaging and enthusiastic Camp Counselor to supervise and instruct campers (ages 4.5-14) as part of our Summer Discovery Camp. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 55-acre site, including programming and play facilitation in our Nature Explore® Outdoor Exhibit. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning. Our activities are designed to help instill a passion for science and promote stewardship of the natural environment.
Candidates must enjoy working with youth ages 4.5 to 14, possess a keen interest in science, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the fields of science and education. Typical daily shift for camp begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. On Fridays, the Camp Counselor is expected to participate in the Friday Camp Family Slideshow ending at approximately 5:15 p.m. This summer’s program will begin on June 14th and run through August 20th.
In this role you will:
- Lead and implement creative programs and activities for campers (ages 4.5-14) on a variety of science and nature topics while encouraging positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Supervise and maintain camper safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Serve as a role model and actively support fostering opportunities for successful interaction between campers, Counselors-in-Training and Junior Counselors
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families and be proactive in problem solving and communicating issues and solutions to campers and parents
- Conduct indoor/outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions.
- Set-up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment and supplies
- Participate in all aspects of Friday Camp Family Slideshows as needed.
- Prepare for and actively participate in all staff training and meetings
A successful candidate will have:
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Find enjoyment working in a fast-paced environment
- Be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
Requirements for the job:
- Must be 18 years of age and/or completed at least 3 years of High School
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science preferred
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children; experience in inquiry-based and/or experiential learning settings a plus
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science and/or nature camp preferred
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or take a CPR/First Aid course the EcoTarium provides
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move program equipment and supplies up to 25 lbs., and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI/SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
Hourly rate: $15.00