The EcoTarium, a Museum of Science and Nature, seeks an enthusiastic and organized GSK Science in the Summer Program Instructor to deliver biology-based programs for students in grades 2-6 at off-site locations. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates should have or be working towards a degree in a scientific field or in education, enjoy working with youth, and possess a keen interest in science, though expertise is not required. Informal and/or formal teaching experience expected. The successful candidate will have experience working on a team, enjoy collaboration and bring a commitment to running successful educational programs.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in a scientific field or in education, or is working towards degree in scientific field or education
- General science background with knowledge in one or more of the following areas preferred: biology, earth science, astronomy, engineering, physical science
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience teaching informal and/or formal curricula (program evaluation experience a plus)
- Must provide own transportation to off-site locations
- Comfort with public speaking; experience with classroom management a plus
- Knowledge of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations
- Multilingual skills a plus
- Ability navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs, stay stationary for long periods of time, and work in a multi- sensory and stimulating work environment
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Valid driver’s license as position requires driving to off-site locations
- Deliver hands-on, inquiry based, participatory programs for groups of students in grades 2-8
- Responsible for attending approximately 3 training sessions both virtually and in person.
- Gathering and managing program supplies from the EcoTarium
- Delivering all necessary materials to community sites as part of program facilitation
- Facilitating three to five different hour-long biology lessons for up to 30 students at a time, using the inquiry-based methods learned in trainings
- Administer grant related outcomes
- Complete grant requirement evaluations and reporting documents
- Uniform/dress code required
- Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when needed
- Other duties as may be assigned
Hours and Compensation:
- Non-exempt temporary position from June - August, 2023. Expected to be 2 - 3 days per week of 4 - 6 hours per shift
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Human Resources via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request accommodation at any time. Please contact Deana Prest (Director of Human Resources) at email@example.com.