The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks an Information Technology (IT) Administrator to manage, maintain, coordinate and support technology resources throughout the museum.
The IT Administrator acts as a resource for senior administration in decision making and resource allocation and will participate in discussions identifying opportunities and needs, and facilitates the evaluation and selection of candidate solutions. Works to ensure that projects undertaken are manageable within current staffing and resources levels and are compatible with with existing IT systems. Works to implement appropriate solutions either directly or with the assistance of outside contractors. Works as a business analyst, project manager, and support specialist to identify, resolve, and maintain the institution’s current and future IT needs. Works with the senior administration to identify opportunities for leveraging long-term investment in IT resources to support new strategic efforts; while controlling hardware and support costs.
Shared Systems used by all staff and supported by IT include:
- Staff Desktop/Laptop Computers (Windows),
- Windows Servers,
- Network Attached Storage systems,
- Google G-Suite for Nonprofits,
- cloud-based Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone system,
- local area network (including wiring, network switches, and wireless access points)
- Altru, the museum’s CRM and POS system
In this role you will:
- Budget and allocate IT related resources for common/standard office needs across all departments and the institution as a whole
- Maintain and Support existing IT systems, including servers and devices hosted onsite, manage cloud-based/externally hosted services
- Research possible resources and solutions to departmental and museum needs
- Manage relationship with Managed Service Provider, if in use, who may also provide some of the support role for servers and services in use by the EcoTarium
- Provide end user support, including assistance with daily tasks, printing, email, and related troubleshooting
- Plan for future needs, including replacement of existing systems as they approach the end of their support life-cycle
- Evaluate new technologies and maintain awareness of trends in both the museum and larger communities in order to help inform future decisions
- Maintain a “show must go on attitude” to help support critical functions, including front-line ticketing and sales operations
- Provide after-hours support when needed; and arrange with supervisor for coverage if needed
- Ensure museum compliance with applicable policies, legal and industry standards (ie PCI compliance, records retention, etc.)
- Maintain a trouble-ticket system and keep information up-to-date in order to help manage incoming calls for assistance and ensure timely resolution of issues
- Maintain an inventory of current IT systems to help monitor software licenses, system life-cycle, and operational needs
- Train staff and identify experts within departments for technology and systems needs
- Provides on-going training and support to EcoTarium staff. Training to include both class-based and one-on-one training to help ensure that all staff are comfortable with the tools they are expected to use and can perform their jobs effectively.
- Coordinates a Technology Working Group that can meet informally/as needed to discuss upcoming projects, needs, and opportunities where skill sets across the institution can be leveraged to meet new and ongoing needs.
- Responsible for troubleshooting all issues, including network connectivity, printing, application support, file permission issues/requests.
- Must maintain a positive ‘customer-focused’ attitude towards internal support requests so that Museum operations and Visitor-facing staff are able to effectively do their jobs.
- Provides consultation and various levels of support to other departments on specific systems including, but not limited to:
- Visitor Services: cloud-based POS/online Museum Shop System;
- Facilities: internally hosted web-based HVAC controller.
A successful candidate will have:
- Strong attention to detail and self-motivated
- Ability to triage and re-assess priorities on a day-to-day and minute-to-minute basis.
- Ability provide support to all staff-levels of the institution, from front-line and support staff to senior management, each with varying levels of technical proficiency
- Display professional and personable demeanor with the public and with fellow staff members
- Have a willingness to learn new skills
- Strong Business Analyst and Project Management skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines. Proven ability to reprioritize projects and deadlines accordingly.
Requirements of the job:
- 3-5 Years’ Experience Providing Desktop and Windows Server Support (Windows Server 2016, Including both Physical and Hyper-V Virtual Systems)
- Bachelor’s Degree (Management of Information Systems, Management or related field, preferred)
- Experience providing both end user support (ie Tier 1) alongside server support; while managing a budget; supporting ongoing projects and initiatives; and planning for future developments.
- Knowledge of Windows, Linux, Google G-Suite, CRM/POS and related systems
- Knowledge of networking, including network protocols, wireless access points and switches, particularly Unifi products
- Experience with technical writing and documenting systems for use by others
- Must pass a CORI background check, according to EcoTarium’s guidelines and have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Experiences supporting Altru is a plus (Visitor Services/Development CRM/POS system; Atlassian Confluence (Collaboration Platform)
- Able to lift/carry 20-30 pounds from floor to desktop height.
- Able to push/pull utility carts and other aids to transport equipment and tools from one location to another
- Able to operate hand tools (screwdrivers, pliers, etc) and light duty power tools (drill/screwdriver, etc)
- Ability to independently and with others to install devices using ladders up to 12 feet
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000 (paid hourly)