Do you want to inspire a passion for science and nature in our vibrant and diverse camp community? Come join the camp staff at the EcoTarium!
The EcoTarium, a museum of science and nature, seeks engaging and enthusiastic junior counselors to supervise and instruct campers (ages 5–12) in our school vacation week camp programs. Programming is focused on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, and outdoors on our 45-acre site.
In this role you will:
- Assist in the implementation of hands-on programs and activities for campers on a variety of science and nature topics
- Support counselors with camper safety and behavior management in a positive and constructive way
- Ensure that all campers and staff are having fun throughout the program
- Serve as a role model for and actively support positive interaction between campers
- Proactively problem-solve and communicate issues and solutions with campers and other camp staff
- Deliver indoor and outdoor programming and navigate trails in a variety of weather conditions
- Set up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment, and supplies
- Prepare for and actively participate in all staff training and meetings
- Two sessions: February 20–24, 2023 and April 17–21, 2023. Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm with 30-minute unpaid lunch break.
- Paid training, flexible based on employee’s schedule ahead of camp session(s)
- 16 years of age or older. Individuals who have previously participated in the EcoTarium CIT program may apply for a Junior Counselor position at 15 years of age.
- Availability for the entirety of at least one full-week camp session
- Candidates who are available for both vacation week sessions are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Comfort with presentation and/or public speaking
- Demonstrated success working both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and dependability
- Willingness to learn and grow through constructive feedback
- Documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and completion of the camp’s health forms and waivers before the start of training
- Documented proof of vaccination against COVID-19, or willingness to provide weekly COVID-19 testing results throughout active employment
- Ability to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, lift and transport up to 25 lbs., and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks
An ideal candidate will have:
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science
- Experience with inquiry-based and/or experiential learning
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science camp or museum
- A flair for public presentation
- Demonstrated ability to have fun with kids, laugh at oneself, and be silly!
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hour
Disclaimer: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Human Resources via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request accommodation at any time. Please contact Patty Huzar (Director of Human Resources) at email@example.com or 508-929-2700 ext 2708.