The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks an innovative and creative Educator to deliver and facilitate interpretive programs for the general public and groups, both on-site and off-site. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and includes interpretation of museum exhibits, digital planetarium, and outdoor programs on a 55-acre site, as well as programming and play facilitation in our Nature Explore Outdoor Exhibit. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates should have or be working towards a degree in a scientific field or education, enjoy working with families and children, and possess a keen interest in science and a commitment to furthering their own education in the field. Informal and/or formal teaching experience expected. The successful candidate will have experience working on a team, enjoy collaboration and bring a commitment to running creative educational programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field or education or working towards degree in scientific field
- General science background with knowledge in one or more of the following areas preferred: biology, earth science, astronomy, engineering, physical science
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience developing and teaching informal and/or formal teaching (program evaluation experience a plus)Ability to plan, initiate and carry out education programs
- Curriculum development experience desired
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Knowledge of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to get to off-site program locations and meetings
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs, stay stationary for long periods of time, and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Develop and deliver hands-on, inquiry based, participatory programs for guests and groups indoors as well as outdoors in any type of weather
- Lead school programs, public programs, planetarium shows and camp sessions on a variety of science topics, both on-site and off-site
- Be familiar with overnight program, occasionally lead programs and serve on rotation schedule for meeting and greeting groups
- Execute programming, facilitate play, and monitor use of supplies in the Nature Explore Outdoor Exhibit
- Attend training and cover shifts on Planetarium both pre-recorded and live shows
- Administer grant related projects and programs as assigned
- Assist in training of on call and/or seasonal staff and volunteers
- Set-up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment and supplies
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Uniform/dress code required
- Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when needed
- Other duties as may be assigned
Hourly Rate of Pay: $21.315 / hour
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Human Resources via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request accommodation at any time. Please contact Patty Huzar (Director of Human Resources) at email@example.com or 508-929-2700 ext 2708.