Status: Seasonal, Temporary, Part Time, Hourly; Paid Training
Hours: Minimum of two shifts per month Friday, or Saturday nights from 5:00 pm to 9:15 am; Overnight season runs September to June.
Do you wonder if the exhibits really come to life at night? Do you have experience supervising a team of up to 6 people? Do you enjoy working with children? If you said, “Yes”, to these questions then you might be just who we are looking for!
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks organized, creative and responsible Senior Program Instructors, who will lead a team to deliver interpretative programs for Night Journeys (overnight programs). Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 55-acre site. Teaching is primarily through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates for this position must enjoy working with both youth and adults, possess a keen interest in science, and have experience in leading, supervising and supporting a team of staff in a fast paced environment. Experience in Inquiry Based Learning a plus. Participation is required for up to three evenings of paid training to become familiar with workplace policies, science and nature content, program materials, and teaching skills for various audiences. Separate paid animal-handling training with Zoo staff is also required.
- Direct a team of program instructors during our Night Journeys overnight program
- Work as part of a team to provide an exceptional visitor experience and deliver museum-quality, hands-on educational programming on a variety of science and nature topics through formal and informal contacts
- Conduct outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions
- Prepare, tidy, and maintain museum spaces and program materials including technical equipment and other supplies
- Report any issues with programming, guests, staff, wildlife, or exhibits to Overnight Program Coordinator
- Conduct preparation meetings and evening staff debriefs
- Competently lead all programs and be a role model for staff
- Take initiative in problem solving, leading programs, and fostering effective interactions between guests and staff
- Present a positive attitude and engender a sense of fun for guests where appropriate
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Uniform/dress code required
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working on a team, enjoy collaboration and bring a commitment to running creative educational programs with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science
- Experience with inquiry-based and/or experiential learning
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science camp or museum
- Knowledge of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Be a creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations
- Multilingual skills a plus
- Demonstrated ability to have fun with kids, laugh at oneself, and be silly! • Availability for training outside of regular scheduled working hours
- Must pass a CORI background check, according to EcoTarium’s guidelines and have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- First Aid/ CPR/ AED certification a plus
Education and Experience:
- 21 years of age or older
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children
- Demonstrated experience in supervisory role
- Able to lift/carry 20-30 pounds from floor to desktop height
- Able to push/pull utility carts and other aids to transport equipment and tools from one location to another
- Is able to mentor and guide Overnight Program Instructors
- Handles unexpected situations that arise in a calm and professional manner
- Communicates effectively with the Overnight Program Coordinator to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants
Rate of Pay: $17.25/hour
Disclaimer: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.