Title: Overnight Program Instructor
Reporting to: Overnight Program Coordinator
Status: Seasonal Part Time Hourly/ Non-Exempt; Paid training; Minimum of two shifts per month - Friday or Saturday nights from 5:00 pm to 9:15 am;
Do you wonder if the exhibits really come to life in the night? Do you have a flare for performance? Do you enjoy working with children? If you said, “Yes”, to any of these questions then you might be just who we are looking for!
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks creative and engaging program instructors to assist in delivering interpretative programs for Night Journeys (overnight programs). Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 45-acre site. Teaching is primarily through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates for this position must enjoy working with families and children, possess a keen interest in science, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the fields of science and education. Participation is required for three evenings of paid training to become familiar with workplace policies, science and nature content, program materials, and teaching skills for various audiences. Separate paid animal-handling training with Zoo staff is also required.
- Work as part of a team to provide an exceptional visitor experience and deliver museum-quality, hands-on educational programming on a variety of science and nature topics through formal and informal contacts
- Conduct outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions
- Prepare, tidy, and maintain museum spaces and program materials including technical equipment and other supplies
- Report any issues with programming, guests, staff, wildlife, or exhibits to Senior Overnight Program Instructor and participate in preparation meetings and evening staff debriefs
- Take initiative in problem solving, leading programs, and fostering effective interactions between guests and staff
- Present a positive attitude and engender a sense of fun for guests where appropriate
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Uniform/dress code required
An ideal candidate will have:
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science
- Experience with inquiry-based and/or experiential learning
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science camp or museum
- A flair for public presentation
- Demonstrated ability to have fun with kids, laugh at oneself, and be silly!
- Availability for training
- 18 years of age or older
- Availability for training
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Comfort with presentation and/or public speaking
- Demonstrated success working both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and dependable
- Willingness to learn and grow through constructive feedback
- Documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and completion of the camp’s health forms and waivers before the start of training
- Documented proof of vaccination against COVID-19, or willingness to provide weekly COVID-19 testing results throughout active employment
- Ability to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, lift and transport up to 25 lbs., and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks
Disclaimer: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.