A Space of Learning and Discovery Preschool Wednesdays and Budding Scientists
Our Preschool Wednesdays offer toddlers and their families to go on a journey through story time, a live animal experience, and a maker space for crafts.
Budding Scientists is an immersive experience for kids ages 4-6 to learn basic scientific principles through hands-on activities and experiments.
These educational programs have been very popular and the education team is committed to improving the quality of depth and experience. This year, there will be several modifications organized to enrich our preschool programs.
Budding Scientists: Monthly Programs held on Thursday and Saturday
Curious little explorers conduct simple, safe, science and nature experiments in the EcoTarium's Budding Scientists program, learning basic scientific principles while having fun with hands-on activities.
Please purchase a ticket for your session at the Tickets and Information Desk when you arrive at the museum. Limited to first 10 adult-child pairs per session.
Thursday (Two Sessions): 10:30 a.m.-11:15 a.m. & 11:30 a.m. - 12: 15 p.m.
Saturday: 10:45 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- March 14 and 16: Be a Scientist: Take a Closer Look
Learn how to use scientific tools to explore the world of the very small and unseen. What wonders will we discover inside a drop of water?
- April 11 and 13: Physics Fun: Sink or Float Investigate sinking and floating as we experiment with materials of different sizes, shapes and densities. Discover what floats your boat!
- May 9 and 11: Young Naturalist: Seed Explorations Explore the science of seeds as we investigate their look, feel and smell! Learn what a seed needs to grow as you help plant the EcoTarium Sensory Garden.
Preschool Wednesdays: Program for Kids Ages 0-4
Preschool Wednesday is held weekly. The experience room includes snack, craft and hands-on themed science exploration.
*Preschool and Toddler Wednesday programs are not held during the February, April, and December school vacation weeks (Worcester Public Schools schedule).
10:15 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. with story reading and live animal visit at 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. (same story and animal).
- February 27 Theme: Clouds
Story: Little Cloud by Eric Carle
- March 6 Theme: Animal Tails
Story: If I had a Tail by Karen Clemens Warrick
- March 13 Theme: Cause and Effect
Story: If you give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
- March 20 Theme: Snakes
Book: Small Green Snake by Libba Moore Gray
- March 27 Theme: Vernal Pools
Book: Salamander Room by Anne Mazer
- April 3 Theme: Frogs and Toads
Book: Jump Frog Jump by Robert Kalan
- April 10 Theme: Bird Wings and Flight
Book: Birds by Kevin Henkes
- April 17 No Pre-K Session due to School Vacation Week
- April 24 Theme: Nest Building
Book: Nest by Jory Hurley
As of January 1, 2019:
- There will be an additional educator leading hands-on explorations in our craft and snack drop-in room during Preschool Wednesdays. Enhanced educator-led sessions will aim to engage more children to playfully exercise curiosity and creativity, and result in deeper learning and discovery.
- Our Budding Scientists program will expand from 30-minute sessions to 45-minute sessions, and continue to be offered monthly on Thursday and Saturday.
- Preschool Wednesdays and Budding Scientists will be offered at an additional cost to museum admission:
- Children under the age of 2 are free
- $3 per child 2 years old+ (member rate)
- $5 per child 2 years old+ (non-member rate)
- Tickets can be purchased at the Tickets & Information Desk upon entry