Do you want to inspire a passion for science and nature in our vibrant and diverse camp community? Come join the camp staff at the EcoTarium!
The EcoTarium, a museum of science & nature, seeks an engaging and enthusiastic Teen Leadership Director. Under the direction of Camp Directors, the Teen Leadership Director is responsible for the design, planning, and implementation of the summer camp Counselor in Training (CIT) program for campers ages 13-15.
Throughout the four-week session, CITs will participate in leadership development programming led by the Teen Leadership Director, and will discover what it’s like to be a camp counselor by spending some of their time working with younger campers alongside mentor counselors. Program facilitation is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
- Lead hands-on programs and activities on a variety of team-building, leadership, science, and nature topics
- Develop the Counselor in Training program with the support of Camp Directors
- Lead a portion of camp staff training related to the CIT program
- Manage safety and behavior management in a positive and constructive way
- Ensure that all campers and staff are having fun throughout the program
- Coordinate CIT camp group placements with Camp Directors
- Serve as a role model for, and actively support positive interaction between CITs
- Provide an exceptional customer service experience by proactively problem-solving and communicating issues and solutions with camp leadership, campers, and caregivers
- Deliver indoor and outdoor programming and navigate trails in a variety of weather conditions
- Set up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment, and supplies
- Prepare for and actively participate in all staff training and meetings
- 21 years of age or older
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children and teens
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Comfort with presentation and/or public speaking
- Demonstrated success working both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and dependability
- Willingness to learn and grow through constructive feedback
- Documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts
- Department of Public Health, and completion of the camp’s health forms and waivers before the start of training
- Documented proof of vaccination against COVID-19, or willingness to provide weekly COVID-19 testing results throughout active employment
- Ability to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, lift and transport up to 25 lbs., and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with facilitating team-building and leadership development programming
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science
- Experience with inquiry-based and/or experiential learning
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science camp or museum
- A flair for public presentation
- Demonstrated ability to have fun with kids, laugh at oneself, and be silly!
Hours and Compensation:
- June 5 - August 25, 2023. Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm with 30-minute lunch break (37.5+ hours/week, max 40 hours/week)
The EcoTarium believes that science and nature are for everyone. We recognize the incredible value of the diversity of the human experience and we are committed to making equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion imperative in how we operate. We prioritize respect, inclusion, and opportunities for people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination of any kind.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Human Resources via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request accommodation at any time. Please contact Deana Prest (Director of Human Resources) at email@example.com.